The Book of Isaiah
TRUE PEACE ON EARTH
Text: ISAIAH 11:1-9
1. One of my favorite songs is, “Peace in the Valley.” One of the stanzas goes like this:
“There the bear will be gentle, the wolf will be tame,
2. The words are from Isaiah 11:6-8.
3. To some extent, the curse pronounced in the Garden of Eden will be lifted when the Lord returns to establish His millennial kingdom.
4. My message tonight is entitled, “True Peace on Earth.”
I. TRUE PEACE BECAUSE OF THE PRINCE OF PEACE (11:1).
1. There will never be peace in this wicked, sin-loving world until the Lord Jesus Christ comes back.
2. The Lord Jesus Christ is the “rod out of the stem of Jesse” (11:1; cf. 11:10).
3. We have here a contrast – the proud and haughty trees of the forest, representing the Gentile armies (Isa. 10:33, 34) and the humble “stem of Jesse” (11:1).
4. And yet this humble stem of Jesse will deliver Israel from her enemies at the Battle of Armageddon. This is why our Lord is referred to in Revelation 5:5 as “the Root of David,” and in Rev. 22:16 as “the root and the offspring of David.”
5. “And a Branch shall grow out of his roots” (Isa. 11:1b).
6. This is a Messianic title. We saw it back in Isaiah 4:2, “In that day shall the branch of the LORD be beautiful and glorious.”
7. Jeremiah 23:5 (and 33:15) says, “Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.”
8. Zechariah 3:8 says, “For, behold, I will bring forth my servant the BRANCH.”
9. Zechariah 6:12 says, “Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH; and He shall grow up out of His place, and He shall build the temple of the LORD.”
10. The Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon Him (11:2). Here we see the Holy Spirit in His sevenfold fullness and blessing. The doctrine of the Holy Spirit is taught in both the OT and the NT.
II. TRUE PEACE BECAUSE OF RIGHTEOUS JUDGMENT
1. Isaiah 11:4 says, “But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth.”
2. “And he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked” (11:4b). The wicked are literally getting away with murder these days but it will be much different when the Lord Jesus Christ is sitting on His throne and governing the world.
3. You probably heard recently that a jury here in NY gave the death sentence to that horrible cop-killer from Staten Island. His lawyers and the death penalty opponents will now appeal and drag this case through the courts for years.
4. But there will be no appeals when Jesus comes back to earth to rule and to reign. “He shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth” (Isa. 11:4).
5. Revelation 2:27 says, “And he shall rule them with a rod of iron.” We see the same words in Psalm 2:9.
6. Revelation 19:15 and 16 says, “And out of His mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it He should smite the nations: and He shall rule them with a rod of iron: and He treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And He hath on His vesture and on His thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.”
7. The LORD will administer righteous judgment during His millennial reign. Our Lord says in Revelation 2:23, “And all the churches shall know that I am He which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.”
8. In other words – true righteous judgment.
III. TRUE PEACE BECAUSE OF THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE LORD (11:9).
1. The phrase “as the waters cover the sea” (11:9) signifies the depth and fulness of the knowledge of the LORD during the millennial kingdom.
2. Merrill Unger wrote, “As the waters of the ocean permeate every cavern and hole of its depths, so will salvation and godliness permeate the entire earth under the Messiah’s manifested presence and reign” (Unger’s Commentary on the OT).
1. Some day (“In that day” – 11:10), the LORD will rule and reign and “the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea” (Isa. 11:9).
2. I went on the Internet and did a little research. I found these statistics:
1. Christianity (includes RCC, JW, Mormon, etc.): 2.1 billion
2. Islam: 1.3 billion
3. Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion
4. Hinduism: 900 million
5. Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
6. Buddhism: 376 million
7. primal-indigenous: 300 million
8. African Traditional (witchcraft): 100 million
9. Sikhism: 23 million
10. Juche (North Korean form of Communism): 19 million
11. Spiritism (demon worship): 15 million
12. Judaism: 14 million
13. Baha'i: 7 million
14. Jainism: 4.2 million
15. Shinto: 4 million
16. Cao Dai (Vietnamese religion): 4 million
17. Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
18. Tenrikyo (Japanese): 2 million
19. Neo-Paganism (Wicca, Druids, magic): 1 million
20. Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
21. Rastafarianism (Jamaican cult): 600 thousand
22. Scientology: 500 thousand
3. All these false religions will be gone when the Lord Jesus Christ will rule and reign from the throne of David in Jerusalem.
4. Or as one preacher put it, “I am looking forward to the day when all of these “isms” will be “wasms.”