The Book of JUDE
James J. Barker
DESCRIPTION OF APOSTATES
- There is a close connection between false doctrine and immorality, and Jude brings this out in his epistle (cf. vss. 7, 8).
- The great Bible preacher HA Ironside, said, “Unholy ways always accompany, and indeed spring from, unholy teachings. Hence we can easily understand the readiness with which apostates from the truth give themselves up to what is defiling and abominable” (The Epistle of Jude).
- The most obvious example is the RC homosexual priest scandal. It is estimated that 75% of the RC priests are sodomites (cf. Jude 7, 8).
- There are many immoral Protestants too, especially among the apostate liberals. Paul Tillich was born in Germany, and was a very prominent and influential liberal. He was a prolific author. Unfortunately his books are filled with unscriptural nonsense.
- In 1973, Paul Tillich’s wife Hannah wrote a book entitled, From Time to Time. In her book, Hannah Tillich described her late husband as a notorious adulterer, given to promiscuous sex and pornography. In fact, both Mr. and Mrs. Tillich were perverted sex addicts. Mrs. Tillich even admits in her book that she experimented with lesbianism.
- I do not think it is necessary to go into great detail on this sordid subject, but it is a fact that most religious apostates are known for being immoral degenerates.
- Recently, the head of an ecumenical organization called the National Association of Evangelicals, was exposed as a homosexual pervert. He was paying a homosexual prostitute money for sex and drugs. He was the pastor of a very large charismatic church in Colorado.
- APOSTATES ARE FILTHY IN THEIR THINKING
- APOSTATES ARE EVIL IN THEIR TALKING
- APOSTATES ARE BRUTISH IN THEIR BEHAVIOUR
APOSTATES ARE FILTHY IN THEIR THINKING (vs. 8)
- Jude refers to religious apostates as “filthy dreamers” (vs. 8). In other words, their thought life is polluted. Jude uses the words “likewise” and “filthy,” meaning that the apostates live out their wicked fantasies in sexual immorality, and even perversion (cf. II Peter 2:10).
- They “defile the flesh” (vs. 8). The apostle Paul wrote in I Cor. 6:18, “Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.”
- This is why pornography is so dangerous. Many people have filthy thought lives because they indulge in pornography. It is a billion dollar business. And now with cable TV, videos and DVD’s, and Internet, people watch this filth without having to leave their home.
- In addition to “defile the flesh,” apostates also “despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities” (vs. 8).
- The word “dominion” refers to power and authority, whether human or angelic.
- This means religious apostates reject authority. Romans 13:1 says, “For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.”
- But religious apostates rebel against government and promote lawlessness and anarchy. This means they are rebelling against God. When Miriam and Aaron rebelled against Moses, they were rebelling against God because God put Moses in charge.
- The same could be said about “the gainsaying of Korah” (vs. 11; cf. Numbers 16), and all the murmuring Israelites.
- It is a fact that many liberal religious leaders are involved in communist and other subversive organizations.
- The National Council of Churches (NCC) (like its predecessor, the Federal Council of Churches) is an overt supporter of the communist cause. The NCC is based here in New York City.
- The NCC has collected money from liberal churches and then sent the money to communist groups around the world (Zimbabwe, Mozambique, and Angola).
- They have supported Fidel Castro in Cuba and communist groups such as the Sandinistas in Nicaragua and guerrillas in El Salvador.
- More recently they have aligned themselves with the Muslim terrorists who are determined to take over the world.
- At its recent convention in Chicago, the Islamic Society of North America honored the National Council of Churches’ top interfaith official with its “Interfaith Unity Award.”
- One conservative writer wrote, “Undoubtedly, the award was well deserved! The NCC, like most of the Religious Left, defends or accommodates radical Islam, even as it denounces ‘fundamentalist’ Christianity and condemns Israel” (Mark D. Tooley, “Islamic Group Honors Religious Left,” FrontPageMagazine.com, Sep. 10, 2007).
- The Jesuits have also been involved in spreading “liberation theology” and other devilish philosophies around the world.
APOSTATES ARE EVIL IN THEIR TALKING (vss. 9, 10).
- Apostates “speak evil of dignities” (vs. 8). However, Michael the archangel did not rail against Satan while contending about the body of Moses (vs. 9). He simply said to the devil, “The Lord rebuke thee” (vs. 9).
- We have no idea when this dispute took place, or how it began. This is the only reference to it in the Bible. Deuteronomy 34:6 says the LORD buried Moses “in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Bethpeor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day.”
- “By Nebo’s lonely mountain,
On this side Jordan’s wave,
In a vale in the land of Moab
There lies a lonely grave.
And no man knows that sepulchre,
And no man saw it e’er,
For the angels of God upturned the sod,
And laid the dead man there.” Cecil Frances Alexander
- One of Mark Twain’s biographers records that this was one of his favorite poems and he would recite it often and with great power.
- But the point of Jude 9 is that even Michael (called “the great prince” in Daniel 12:1) the great archangel did not presume to speak scornfully to the devil.
APOSTATES ARE BRUTISH IN THEIR BEHAVIOUR (vs. 10).
- Jude refers to them as “brute beasts” (vs. 10). “But what they know naturally” means they operate in the flesh (cf. I Cor. 2:14).
- This is what the apostates “know naturally” (vs. 10) – their natural animal instincts and the gratification of their sensual appetites.
- Apostates abandon themselves to sexual gratification and in the process “they corrupt themselves” (vs. 10).
- Apostates may be highly educated but they are ignorant of spiritual things.
- They “speak evil of those things which they know not” (vs. 10), because they are not born again.