The Book of Mark
THE SCRIPTURES MUST BE FULFILLED
Text: MARK 14:43-65
1. We started Mark chapter 14 back on June 6, then continued into the chapter on June 13.
2. Then on June 20, we were blessed with a special speaker.
3. On June 27, I preached about the Garden of Gethsemane. And then for two Sundays in a row we heard from Bro. Gillmore (revival week).
4. Then last Sunday evening we were blessed by Casper Koning.
5. It’s been a while since we have been in the Gospel of Mark, so please allow me to give a brief review. Mark 14 begins with the plot of the chief priests and scribes against our Lord (14:1, 2).
6. Then we have the anointing of Christ’s head by Mary (though Mark does not give us her name) at the supper in Bethany, two days before his death (14:3-9).
7. In verses 10 and 11, we see the treacherous arrangement Judas Iscariot made with the chief priests to betray our Lord.
8. Then we have our Lord eating His last passover with his disciples, as well as his instituting the Lord’s supper.
9. Christ’s agony in the Garden of Gethsemane is recorded in verses 32–42.
10.Right after that, our Lord was betrayed by Judas Iscariot and brought before the high priest (14:43-53).
11.Tonight, I would like to draw your attention to our Lord’s statement in Mark 14:49 – “I was daily with you in the temple teaching, and ye took me not: but the scriptures must be fulfilled.”
12.“But the scriptures must be fulfilled’ (Mark 14:49).
13. Do you know that the Lord Jesus Christ fulfilled hundreds of Old Testament types and prophecies? Here are just a few:
Gen. 3:15...He will bruise Satan’s
Num. 9:12...Not a bone of Him broken
Num. 21:9...The serpent on a pole-Christ lifted up (John
Ps. 68:18...Ascended into Heaven
Ps. 69:4...Hated without a cause
Isa. 9:6...The Mighty God, the Prince of
Isa. 50:6...He was beaten and spat
Isa. 53:7...Silent before his
Isa. 59:20...He will come to Zion as their
Mic. 5:2...He is from everlasting
Zech. 9:9a...Greeted with rejoicing in
Zech. 9:9c...The Messiah would be
Zech. 9:9e...The Messiah would be lowly, riding upon an ass
Zech. 11:12-13a...Betrayed for thirty pieces
Mal. 3:1a...Messenger sent to prepare the way for Messiah
14. Tonight, I would like for us to prayerfully consider these words: “But the scriptures must be fulfilled” (Mark 14:49).
15. By the way, just as these hundreds of prophecies concerning the first coming of Christ were accurately fulfilled, we can be certain, all of the prophecies regarding His second coming will also be accurately fulfilled.
16. No other holy book has fulfilled prophecies. There are hundreds of fulfilled prophecies in the Bible, and we will consider a few tonight.
I. BUT HE HELD HIS PEACE (14:61)
1. The greatest Messianic chapter in the Old Testament is Isaiah 53. Isaiah 53:7 says, “He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.”
2. Over 700 years later this prophecy was fulfilled as the Lord Jesus Christ stood before the Jewish high priest Caiaphas and “opened not His mouth.”
3. Mark 14:61 says, “But he held his peace, and answered nothing.”
4. First Peter 2:23 says, “Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously.”
5. In his account, Mark does not mention the high priest’s name, but Matthew 26:57 says, “And they that had laid hold on Jesus led him away to Caiaphas the high priest, where the scribes and the elders were assembled.”
6. John 18:24 says, “Now Annas had sent him bound unto Caiaphas the high priest.”
7. Annas was the high priest, and he was also Caiaphas’ father in law. Both Annas and Caiaphas were wicked and corrupt.
8. According to the Mosaic law, there was only supposed to be one high priest at a time. But we read in Luke 3:2, “Annas and Caiaphas being the high priests.”
9. In his commentary on the Gospel of Mark, E Schuyler English says that Annas was the real high priest as he was descended from Aaron. However, Annas was removed from office by the Roman authorities, who replaced him with Caiaphas, his son-in-law.
10. Both priests were unprincipled men and were in cahoots with the Roman government.
11. The great Messianic prophecy, Isaiah 53:7 – “He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth” is referred to in Acts 8:32.
12. The Ethiopian eunuch asked Philip, “I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?” (Acts 8:34).
13. “Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus” (Acts 8:35).
14. Philip “preached unto him Jesus,” and that is what we must do.
II. SOME BEGAN TO SPIT ON HIM (14:65; cf. ISA. 50:6)
1. Here is another Old Testament prophecy that was fulfilled.
2. It is difficult to expound these texts. It is difficult to even comment on them other than point out that these Scriptures illustrate the world’s hatred and contempt for the Lord Jesus Christ.
3. Mark 14:65 mentions their spitting at Christ, but Matthew 26:67 says, “Then did they spit in his face, and buffeted him; and others smote him with the palms of their hands.”
4. To spit in some one’s face is universally recognized as the most disgusting and the grossest form of personal insult (cf. Num. 12:14; Deut. 25:9).
5. To spit in anyone’s face is rude and disgusting, but how much more terrible to spit in the face of the Son of God!
6. By spitting in our Lord’s face, the religious leaders were showing their hatred for Him. Recently, Pastor Charles Stanley said, “There is a war going on against Jesus. It’s part of the strategy. The primary reason for this war against Him is He is interfering with the plan to make this a socialist nation.”
7. These days there is so much hatred for Jesus, it is hard to believe America used to be a Christian nation! Rock singers routinely attack the Lord Jesus Christ. It is now so commonplace that few people even pay attention to it any more.
8. We can thank the Beatles for that. The leader of the Beatles, John Lennon, wrote a book entitled, A Spaniard in the Works. In this book he said Jesus was “a garlic-eating, stinking little yellow, greasy fascist bastard catholic Spaniard.”
9. Back in 1966, when John Lennon said the Beatles were more popular than Jesus Christ, there was a big uproar but it did very little to hurt their immense popularity.
10. Lennon boasted in an interview, “Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn’t argue with that; I’m right and I will be proved right. We’re more popular than Jesus now.”
11. The next year, the Beatles came out with their Sgt. Pepper record, which had a picture of one of their heroes, the notorious Satanist Aleister Crowley featured on the cover.
12. Derek Taylor was the press officer for the Beatles. He said this about the Beatles, “They’re completely anti-Christ. I mean, I am anti-Christ as well, but they’re so anti-Christ they shock me which isn’t an easy thing.”
13. One popular Beatles song was called “Helter Skelter.” It became the theme song for Charles Manson and his fiendish followers, who brutally butchered seven people in Los Angeles in 1969.
14. I could preach all night about rock music’s hatred for Jesus, but we must move on. The devil not only uses rock music, he also uses Hollywood and TV.
15. Hollywood is always attacking the Lord Jesus Christ. They spit in His face by producing blasphemous movies like “The Last Temptation of Christ” and “The Da Vinci Code,” etc.
16. There is a TV network called “Comedy Central” that loves to attack and ridicule Christ and Christians.
17. But they are too cowardly to attack Islam. When radical Muslims threatened to kill them if they dared to poke fun of Mohammed, Comedy Central pulled the episode off the air.
18. Within weeks of that very public retreat, Comedy Central announced plans to introduce a series ridiculing the Lord Jesus Christ called “JC,” a half-hour animated show about Jesus trying to live a normal life in New York City to escape the “enormous shadow” of God the Father, who is preoccupied with playing video games.
19. According to conservative writer Brent Bozell, Comedy Central televised a filthy holiday special entitled “Merry F--ing Christmas” with visuals of Jesus Christ being stabbed to death and the virgin Mary menstruating.
20. A few years ago, a homosexual playwright by the name of Terrence McNally produced a blasphemous play called “Corpus Christi.” The play depicts Jesus and the twelve apostles as perverted sodomites living in modern-day Texas.
21. Believe it or not, this wicked play has been performed at so-called “Christian” churches and schools.
22. The world is still spitting on the Lord Jesus Christ (Mark 14:65; Isa. 50:6).
1. Isaiah 52:14 says, “As many were astonied at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men.”
2. This wasn’t just a slap in the face, but a vicious beating. Bro. Gillmore dealt with is in great detail one night during revival week (Thursday evening). I do not feel it is necessary to say any more about the terrible sufferings of our Lord.
3. First Peter 2:21 says, “For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps.”
4. The point Bro. Gillmore was making the other night, and to which I now add my exclamation point is this: Christ suffered so much for us, how can we be so careless, so apathetic, so indifferent, so lukewarm, etc.?
5. PP Bliss wrote the words to this great hymn:
Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
1. Let me conclude by making a distinction between the physical sufferings of Christ and the spiritual sufferings of Christ.
2. The physical sufferings were inflicted by cruel men, but the spiritual sufferings were inflicted by a holy God against sin.
3. Isaiah 53:10 says, “Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin.”
4. That is why our Lord cried out (in fulfillment of Psalm 22:1), “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” (Mark 15:34).
5. Christ endured all of that for you and for me.